Sunday, October 21, 2012


SEVENTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR

 
 

Cycle “C” Luke 6, 27 – 38

Fr. Mervyn Carapiet, D.Th.

The test of discipleship is love of enemies, which makes sense by no earthly standards and must be based on faith. To be like the Father is to be compassionate, which mean not to judge or condemn. The Golden Rule is to treat others, as you would like to be treated by them. But George Bernard Shaw, that English satirist, once said, “Don’t do to others what you would like done to you. Their tastes may be different.” There may be some truth in that, since what you might think an act of charity may be construed suspiciously. One example. Immediately after the earthquake in Latur, a whole village of stricken survivors ran in terror from the approaching Christian relief workers who they thought would make them Christians. But personal feelings and prejudice aside, there is a basic need in all of us to be treated with considerateness and understanding. Cruelty in thought, word and action is what we must avoid in all circumstances. That is the absolute minimum. But we Christians are called to do much more than that. We should all consider very seriously the advice of Ralph Waldo Emerson: “You can never do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” After all, as another Christian writer has pointed out, love is the only thing we Christians are supposed to be good at; good at in all situations.

Thing of the rose. Irrespective of whether or not people stop to breathe in its fragrance, it continues to spread it. Or think of a large shady tree. It offers its cooling shade to all who stand in its shadow or ignore it, even to the woodcutter who cuts it down. You know what a difference parking your car in the shade of a tree makes. Kind and forgiving people spread the fragrance and comfort of Jesus around them. Their conduct is inspired by Christ.

A spiritual author suggests two ways we can resemble those people in our conduct. See which one may work for you. Get on your knees and pray for the person who has wronged you. It is difficult to be unforgiving to another if you are genuinely praying for him or her. Consider establishing some contact with your antagonist. Perhaps a note, a phone call, a smile, a verbal greeting, or even a flower may turn the situation around. Otherwise, the person who is unforgiving is allowing a slow viscous stream of acid to burn through the brain, eating him away from within. To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it. What is done is done. Holding on to grievances is a decision to suffer. Only a foolish person makes such a decision. It has been proved that forgiving is the first step to physical healing. Jesus says in today’s Gospel, “Be as compassionate as your Father.”  Ask yourself, “What is God for ?” The answer is: “God is for giving.”

Perhaps in the liturgy we should say once more with feeling, “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” Jesus Christ never meant those words to be spoken as glibly or lightly as we usually do speak them. The Jesus command rests on the ideal of the extra mile. And there is always plenty of room on that road.

Let me end with a story. During the Revolutionary War in America, a gentleman named Peter Miller was pastor of a small church in Pennsylvania. Living near his church was a fellow who seemed to get his kicks out of abusing the Rev. Miller and his congregation. Eventually the nasty fellow was arrested for treason by George Washington’s forces. He was tried, found guilty and condemned to death on the gallows. On hearing the verdict, Pastor Miller immediately journeyed to General Washington to plead for pardon for the condemned man. Washington was not impressed. “Merely because he is your friend,” said Washington, “I can’t let him off.” Miller replied, “Quite the contrary ! If anything, he is my enemy.” Washington was deeply moved. “Since you have walked sixty miles to plead for the life of an enemy, then I must indeed pardon the prisoner. Here are the papers.” Without delay, Rev. Miller raced to the place of execution. As he arrived the spy was being brought to the scaffold. Seeing the pastor, he shouted derisively, “Here comes the pastor to gloat over my hanging,” Miller replied, “Nothing of the sort ! I bring you your pardon.” Wasn’t Abraham Lincoln right when he said, “Don’t we destroy our enemies by making them our friends ?”

PRAYER: By John Baillie (1886-1960. + 74 years)

My failure to be true even to my own accepted standards:

My self-deception in face of temptation;

My choosing of the worse when I know the better;

O Lord, forgive.

My failure to apply myself the standards of conduct I demand of others;

My blindness to the suffering of others and my slowness to be taught by my own;

My complacence towards wrongs that do not touch my own case

And my ever-sensitiveness to those that do;

My slowness to see the good in my fellows and to see the evil in myself;

My hardness of heart towards my neighbours’ faults

 and my readiness to make allowance for my own.

O Lord, forgive.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment