Sunday, October 21, 2012


EIGHTH SUNDAY OF THE YEAR


Cycle “C” Luke 6, 39 – 45

Let me tell you the story of the woman and the frightful dream. One night this woman dreamt that a large, ugly and terrifying monster was chasing her. Everywhere the lady ran, the monster would always be right behind her, breathing down her neck, drooling filthy saliva, and making ghastly noises. In an attempt to escape, the woman ran into a canyon, but which had no exit. Horribly dark, the only light was from the burning red monster’s eyes. She was trapped. With her back against the mountain wall, she froze in terror as the monster came closer and closer. When it was within inches of her, she managed to cry out, “What are you going to do to me ?” The monster shrugged and said, “I don’t know. That’s up to you. It’s your dream.”

At that point, she could decide to be devoured by the monster or have the ugly creature turn into a handsome prince or even choose to make the monster disappear. It was her dream and she had the power to determine how it would play out.

To a certain extent, we create monsters of our self-image. We try to run away from who we are because we feel there’s something about our natural selves that isn’t right. And what is worse, we project that darkness on to the others and see only their evil side, if any. Rather, our self-assessment and our estimation of others should be balanced. As the little poem goes:

There is so much good in the worst of us

There is so much bad in the best of us

That it ill behoves any of us

To rail at the faults of the rest of us

Our lives are very much like our dreams. We have control over our thought and can view our lives any way we choose. If our thoughts have created a monster out of a certain aspect of ourselves, then our thoughts can take control of the monster and turn it into something that will create a positive self-image. Remember Polonius’ advice to his son in Shakespeare “Hamlet”, “But this, above all, to thine own self be true.” As we keep on trying to be true to our deepest self, we shall touch base, meet the divine spirit in the deepest part of our being, and from that depth we can praise and glorify God, as Mary did when she said, “My soul glorifies the Lord.” And like her, too, we shall bear fruit in love and justice.

Every tree, every flower, every blade of grass is magnificently and magically different. Instead of thinking negatively of your differences, accept the challenge, the joy and the wonder of variety. Each of us tends to become what we think we are, and if we present to the world a person who we honestly believe is “okay”, the world will respond to us positively and with acceptance.

One of the greatest gifts we can be given is self-knowledge. Self-knowledge sets us free. It allows us to take hold of the paradox that we are sinners who are loved and redeemed by God’s mercy. We share a common sinfulness -  when we judge others we actually judge ourselves (Rom 2,1). To know ourselves well is to grasp deeply that we are sinners, that Christ died for us and that we need him. Jesus died for sinners; he did not die for the righteous. We need to face facts: we belong to the fraternity of the fallen. Our nature retreats from a crisp and clear understanding of our true state. We find reality uncomfortable. Would that we might see ourselves as others, even those who love us, see us. We would all be much humbler and more attractive pilgrims. I’ll put the point in another little poem and end with it.


I dreamt death came the other night

And heaven’s gate swung wide.

With kindly grace an angel came

And ushered me inside.

And there, to my amazement

Stood folks I’d known on earth;

Some I’d judged “most unfit”

And others of “little worth.”

Indignant words rose to my lips

But never were set free,

For everyone showed stunned surprise

No one expected me !

Prayer by Dr. Roger Hurding (psychotherapist)

Lord Christ, I thank you for your love so strong

May that love flow through me to others

May I be patient when change comes slowly

May I be kind when life seems harsh

May I be gentle when others feel bruised

May I be humble when things go well

May I be peaceful when anger rises within

May I forgive when wronged

May I rejoice when the truth is discovered

Love never fails, but I do

May I hope when things seem hopeless

May I persevere when the way is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment