Tuesday, March 15, 2016

SERVANT MESSENGER

The Servant Messenger
The hallmark of the messenger is to receive the word attentively from its source and to deliver the word faithfully to the intended audience. Here in the third song of the servant (cf. 42:1-4; 49:1-6), the people personified as prophetic messenger are once again called to a ministry of perlocutionary acts, speech that comforts and sustains the weary. But the one who would have the tongue of a teacher must have the ear of a student. Morning by morning, the one whose mission it is to speak must start the day by listening.
The message may not be one the servant wants to hear, much less deliver. But the faithful prophet does not recoil or flee. Even if the performance of one’s prophetic duty engenders opposition, abuse and vilification, the response to suffering is shaped by a deeper confidence. The dignity of the messenger is not preserved through retaliation, but by endurance. Violence and insult are not reflected in the face. Nor lodged in the heart. In this there is no shame.
The accusers will have their day, they will stand together and make their case. The suffering servant knows that help is at hand, all current indications to the contrary. The one who vindicates is not far off, even as cries of “guilty!” still ring in the ears. The patience of the servant messenger is rooted and grounded in the soil of living words lived out.
Scripture: Isaiah 50:4-9a (NRSV)
The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. 5The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. 6I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. 7The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; 8he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. 9It is the Lord Godwho helps me; who will declare me guilty? All of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment